Table runners can help add a lot of spark in your boring room as they are available in unique designs and can add to the beauty. Cloth is used to add beauty to everything from windows to even tables. In this article you will find five creative and easy DIY ideas on how to jazz your living-room design up with customized table runners. Sites such as Boscolo, Tumblr and Pinterest offer a lot of ideas and inspiration for runners.
Very quick and easy Christmas Table Runner:
To say this DIY Christmas table runner idea is quick and easy would be an understatement. There is only one primary piece of material that is needed to make this runner and a few basic sewing and cutting tools. This is ideal for the Christmas period as it takes to time to make at all and you can use a Christmas-themed or decorated material of your choice to make it.
- Get a piece of your favorite Christmas themed cloth or any cloth that you like. Make sure it is as long as the length of your table and 6-10 inches smaller than the width of your table depending on the size of it.
- Cut both ends of the cloth diagonally twice on both sides to make a triangle shape on the end.
- Fold and pin all the sides of the cloth over by a centimeter and sew it to neat up the edges and give it a seamless finish. This can be done roughly with a needle and thread by hand or using a sewing machine.
Easy no-sew table runner:
This table runner is probably one of the most easiest and can be created within a minute. This is great for occasions such as birthdays, last minute dinner parties etc.
- Take a cloth of your choice that is a little bit shorter than the length of your table and a little bit smaller than the width of your table and fold all the edges over by a centimeter.
- Secure the folded ends into place using either Blu Tac, double sided tape, glue dots etc. You can fold the ends in any way you want. You can create a ruffle by gathering the ends of the cloth and securing it in place or a pointed end by folding the ends under to create a triangle shape etc.
- Prevent the runner from moving by placing a vase of flowers or candles in the center on the ends.
Small table center runner:
Table center runners are cute for perching pots of flowers on, putting candles on or presenting dessert on. This runner is ideal for occasions such as dinner parties, Christmas, Halloween etc. Like the other runners featured in this articles, this one is just as easy to make and is the center piece of the table rather than an addition.
- Take a cloth of your choice that is a rough rectangle and is around 20-28 inches long and thick. This will vary depending on the size of your table.
- Fold the edges over by 1 centimeter and pin them in place.
- Sew the edges using a zig-zag stitch or a curved one and repeat the process once more to create a slightly ruffled edge to give the runner texture.
- Secure to the table by placing a fancy candle ornament or fruit bowl etc. to it to give it an elegant finish and focal point.
Bamboo Slat table runner:
Bamboo slat table runners have always been popular and can be quite costly to buy. To beat the cost, why not make one yourself in 2 minutes. They add an elegant and special feel to any occasional table, including holiday tables, and can be reused over and over again.
- Get a role of bamboo slat material. You can use bamboo slat rugs or blinds as your material, they come in a variety of sizes and thicknesses and are relatively cheap.
- Take the bamboo slat and roll it across the table, size it up and cut it, being sure to leave a 3-4 inch gap at each end.
- Fold a little bit of both of the ends under to give the runner and neat and polished look.
Easy DIY Wedding table runner:
Typically, tables at weddings are very long to accommodate all the guests that attend, this makes it difficult to find one in a color or material to suit your theme and to fit on your table. Creating your own wedding table runner is not only cheap but easy and quick to do.
- Take a cloth that matches the color, theme or design of your wedding and the size of your table and lay it flat across it, making sure runs through the middle.
- Go around and symmetrically fold all the sizes in by a few centimeters, ensuring it looks straight and even.
- Fold the ends over and place a pot of flowers or candles on the end.
- Place candles, flowers, wedding favors, and balloons etc. to the top of the runner to give it a wedding feel and enhance the look of it.
All these runner ideas are not only relatively cheap to make but also require little time to create and can really add a personal and customized touch to any occasional table. Runners don’t have to be boring and can be made with cloth as well as many other materials. Whatever the occasion, you can make a custom runner for it within minutes.
John Miller is a regular contributor to many home design blogs with a passion writing about interior design.